My spin on the acronym:
- Specific: clear enough to make it obvious when the goal is completed;
- Measurable: quantifiable so that movement toward & completion of goal is trackable;
- Appropriate: related to personal &/or organizational mission, vision, values, & in harmony with other goals;
- Realistic: able to be achieved given time/resource constraints;
- Timed/Triggered: For outcome/achievement goals, including a specific date for initiation &; completion; For process/habit goals, including a specific date for initiation & time or initiation trigger.
See also Michael Hyatt’s SMARTER framework.